National Professional Qualifications (NPQs)
Along with TELA, our well-established local partner, we are proud to be the local delivery partner for the full suite of National Professional Qualifications (NPQs) from Teach First. Teach First are one of a select group of national providers who have been designated to design, deliver and assess the new NPQs in collaboration with delivery partners (such as Teaching School Hubs).
Accredited by the Department for Education, NPQs are the most widely recognised qualifications in the education sector for current and aspiring leaders and they provide training and support for teachers and school leaders at all levels. From those who want to develop expertise in high-quality teaching practice, such as behaviour management, to those leading multiple schools across trusts.
Types of NPQ
From Autumn 2022, there will be four specialist NPQs for teachers and school leaders who want to broaden their expertise in particular areas. The following programmes are for those who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading teaching in a subject or year, leading behaviour and/or supporting pupil wellbeing in their school, or leading the development of other teachers in their school.
- NPQ for Leading Teaching (NPQLT) - developing teachers who are subject leads or responsible for improving teaching practice in a subject or phase.
- NPQ for Leading Behaviour and Culture (NPQLBC) - developing teachers who have responsibilities for leading behaviour and culture.
- NPQ for Leading Teacher Development (NPQLTD) – supporting the training and development of others, including early career teachers.
- NPQ for Leading Literacy (NPQLL) - for teachers who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading literacy across a school, year group, key stage or phase
For those looking to progress into senior leadership and beyond, the following NPQs build foundational knowledge to rapidly progress your school, education setting or trust’s key improvement priorities – all while creating and embedding a culture that allows your school/eduction setting, staff and pupils to thrive:
- NPQ for Early Years Leadership (NPQEYL) - for leaders qualified to at least Level 3 with a full and relevant qualification who are, or are aspiring to be, managers of private, voluntary and independent nurseries, headteachers of school-based and maintained nurseries, or childminders with leadership responsibilities.
- NPQ for Senior Leadership (NPQSL)
- NPQ for Headship (NPQH)
- NPQ for Executive Leadership (NPQEL)
Further information on each of the qualifications is available in our NPQ brochure, attached at the bottom of the page.
Costs and Scholarship Funding (Updated June 2022)
- NPQ for Leading Teaching (NPQLT) - £840
- NPQ for Leading Behaviour and Culture (NPQLBC) - £840
- NPQ for Leading Teacher Development (NPQLTD) - £840
- NPQ for Leading Literacy (NPQLL) - £840
- NPQ for Early Years Leadership (NPQEYL) - £1045
- NPQ for Senior Leadership (NPQSL) - £1,045
- NPQ for Headship (NPQH) - £1,690
- NPQ for Executive Leadership (NPQEL) - £3,245
Scholarship Funding - Updated June 2022
From Autumn 2021, all teachers and leaders employed in state funded schools, and state funded organisations that offer 16-19 places, in England will be able to access a fully funded NPQ.
Additionally, scholarship funding for the new NPQEYL is also available to early years practitioners and leaders in childcare providers and minders registered on the Ofsted Early Years Register.
This is to support teachers, practioners and pupils following the disruption to learning faced as a result of COVID-19. In order to access scholarship funding, it is imperative that participants have completed the DfE portal registration process as the funding will be conditional on successful validation of participants’ information against TRA records. (See 'Apply' section for details of how to access DfE NPQ Portal).
Application Process and Deadlines
1. Register for an NPQ on the DfE portal. (When completing this stage please ensure that you specify you wish to undertake the programme with the Leicester & Leicestershire Teaching School Hub & Teach First)
Applications are now being accepted for February 2023 cohorts. The extended deadline for February applications is Thursday 2nd February 2023, at 9am.
Guidance on completing your application, and the questions that will be asked, can be found in the application guidance PDF below (PLEASE READ before starting your application).