National Professional Qualifications (NPQs)
Along with our well-established local partner TELA, we are proud to be the local delivery partner for the full suite of new and reformed National Professional Qualifications (NPQs) from Teach First.
Teach First are one of a select group of national providers who have been designated to design, deliver and assess the reformed NPQs in collaboration with delivery partners (such as Teaching School Hubs).
Accredited by the Department for Education (DfE), NPQs are the most widely recognised qualifications in the education sector for current and aspiring leaders and they provide training and support for teachers and school leaders at all levels. From those who want to develop expertise in high-quality teaching practice, such as behaviour management, to those leading multiple schools across trusts.
Click here to access the LeLTSH Teach First brochure.
Types of NPQ
There are three specialist NPQs for teachers and school leaders who want to broaden their expertise in particular areas. The following programmes are for those who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading teaching in a subject or year, leading behaviour and/or supporting pupil wellbeing in their school, or leading the development of other teachers in their school.
- NPQ in Leading Teaching (NPQLT) - developing teachers who are subject leads or responsible for improving teaching practice in a subject or phase.
- NPQ in Leading Behaviour and Culture (NPQLBC) - developing teachers who have responsibilities for leading behaviour and culture.
- NPQ in Leading Teacher Development (NPQLTD) – supporting the training and development of others, including early career teachers.
For those looking to progress into senior leadership and beyond, the following NPQs build foundational knowledge to rapidly progress your school or trust’s key improvement priorities – all while creating and embedding a culture that allows your school, staff and pupils to thrive:
- NPQ in Senior Leadership (NPQSL)
- NPQ in Headship (NPQH)
- NPQ in Executive Leadership (NPQEL)
Further information on each of the qualifications is available in our brochure – embed/attach TF NPQ brochure (see below)
- NPQ in Leading Teaching (NPQLT) - £840
- NPQ in Leading Behaviour and Culture (NPQLBC) - £840
- NPQ in Leading Teacher Development (NPQLTD) - £840
- NPQ in Senior Leadership (NPQSL) - £1,045
- NPQ in Headship (NPQH) - £1,690
- NPQ in Executive Leadership (NPQEL) - £3,245
Most teachers and leaders will be able to access a fully funded NPQ in Leading Teacher Development (NPQLTD). NPQH will be funded for those within their first two years of headship (at the point of application)
In addition, there will be full scholarships on all NPQ programmes for state funded schools who, at the end of the previous academic year (according to the DfE) were within the top 30th percentile in relation to Pupil Premium. The Teaching School Hub can provide details of eligible schools on this list.
Applications for all NPQs involve a two-stage process and both stages must be completed:
- Register for an NPQ on the DfE portal here (When completing this stage please ensure that you specify you wish to undertake the programme with the Leicester & Leicestershire Teaching School Hub & Teach First)
- Complete our application form here (All applications will be screened to assess applicants’ suitability before being accepted onto a programme)
The deadline for November cohort applications is 30th September 2021, but scholarship applications should be submitted before 20th September 2021.