Skip to content ↓
We are incredibly proud to work with so many engaging and inspiring individuals as they begin their journey to become a teacher and start changing lives.

You need to get ‘qualified teacher status’ (QTS) to teach in the majority of schools in England. This includes primary, secondary and special ‘maintained schools’ - part of the state funded schools’ system.

You can get QTS in different ways.  For example, if you already have an undergraduate degree you can do a postgraduate initial teacher training (ITT) course which leads to QTS.  If you do not have a degree, you can do an undergraduate degree which leads to QTS.   Different types of training have different eligibility criteria, funding options and qualifications.

You can also get support to improve your subject knowledge to supplement your training.

To find further information from the Department for Education, visit

Find out more about some of the school centred initial teacher training (SCITT) routes into teaching, in Leicester and Leicestershire, by clicking on one of the options below:

Leicestershire Secondary SCITT 
Leicester & Leicestershire SCITT (Primary)




Teacher Training